Before the Party
- Let your neighbors know that you’ll be throwing a party and give them contact information so they’ll call a sober host before they call the police.
- Plan your guest list. Consider using ways other than Facebook to invite friends.
- For a big event, obtain a Noise Permit Application to the City of Davis so you will have some more leeway in how loud your party can be.
- Designate sober host(s) to monitor the event and ensure a safe party.
- Plan to serve water, non-alcoholic drinks and provide snacks for guests, especially for those under 21.
Day of the Party
- Be an 'upstander' if you're concerned about someone (e.g. they're going home with someone they do not know well or are pressured to drink more than they want). Here are some upstander tips.
- Call 911 if your party starts to get out of control. The officers will help you out and a ticket is less likely.
- Have one main entrance and close other access routes such as windows to regulate who you want at the party.
- Close doors to bedrooms and private areas to protect your personal belongings and property.
- Keep the party people and drinks inside the residence to avoid excess noise.
- Watch your guests for possible signs of alcohol poisoning and call 911 if you are concerned. Campus policy and California law protect you from repercussions.
- Make sure your guests get home safely! Remember, as a party host, you’re liable for the actions of people who leave your party intoxicated.
- Have sober monitors to check ID’s
After the Party:
- Clean up any trash surrounding your place and anything that has spilled over to a neighbor’s property.
- Check in with your neighbors to hear feedback on the party.
- Get some rest!