Skip to main content
How to avoid/manage noise complaints
- Invite only people you know to your party and turn people away if you need to. Noise is harder to control when you have too many people at your house. Host an exclusive party.
- If possible, keep doors and windows closed and ask guests to stay inside to contain the noise.
- Keep your music at a reasonable level when it starts getting late.
Be A Good Neighbor
- Introduce yourself to your neighbors when you move in; it’s best not to do it right before you throw a party or want to ask a favor.
- Let your neighbors know if you plan to throw a party. Give them your number and ask that they call you first if it gets too loud.
- It’s a myth that you need a decibel meter to measure noise; if your noise is bothering someone, they can call in a complaint and an officer must investigate.
- You can always call 911 for help if your party gets out of hand.
- If an officer does show up, being respectful is the best way to increase your chances of a quick and favorable outcome.
- A noise violation in the City of Davis is approximately $100 - $500 depending on the circumstances. Additionally, the property owner/your landlord will be notified of the violation. It’s best to prevent a call to the police in the first place!