Skip to main content
Before the party:
- Eat a full meal and drink water.
- Decide how much you want to drink and set yourself a limit.
- Make a plan for a safe ride home.
- Consider bringing your own drink to the party (perhaps in a re-usable bottle) to avoid pressures of drinking more; you can politely say you already have a drink.
At the party:
- Pace yourself and alternate drinks with water. (image or graphic for rule of thumb - one drink per hour).
- Stick with one type of alcohol if possible
- Avoid drinking from large containers of mixed drinks; it's hard to gauge how much you've had or what's in the drink.
- Keep an eye on your friends... and your drink; do not accept drinks from anyone you don't know/trust.
- Always respect someones choice not to drink.
After the party:
- Ensure you have safe transportation home.
- Leave with the friends you came with.
- Drink water if you want to reduce the chances of a hangover.
- Great! About 30% of UC Davis students choose not to drink.
- Bring your own non-alcoholic drink in a water bottle to the party, or fill up a red cup with something non-alcoholic. Nobody needs to know you're not drinking alcohol.
- Check out our Upstander page for being a great sober buddy.