Here are some simple ways to keep your party fun, safe, and friendly. As a host you are responsible for the safety and welfare of your guests. Familiarize yourself with local policies and laws.
Before the Party
- Plan your guest list and site for hosting the event. Set your Facebook event invitation to private to keep your party on your terms.
- For a big event, obtain a Noise Permit Application to the City of Davis so you will have some more leeway in how loud your party can be.
- Designate sober host(s) to monitor the event and ensure a safe party
- Let your neighbors know that you’ll be throwing a party and give them contact information so they’ll call a sober host before they call the police.
- Coordinate having sober monitors check IDs* at the main entrance of the party and throughout the event.
- Acceptable forms of ID with age information include valid driver license, state-issued ID and U.S. active-duty military ID.
- Plan to serve water, non-alcoholic drinks and provide snacks for guests, especially for those under 21.
- Coordinate parking so no one gets towed.
- Plan to protect your house from spills, dirt, and other damage.
Day of the Party
- Have one main entrance and close other access routes such as windows to regulate who you want at the party.
- Close doors to bedrooms and private areas to protect your personal belongings and property.
- Keep the party people and drinks inside the residence.
- Have sober monitors to check ID’s, watch your guests for possible signs of alcohol poisoning and stop service of alcohol to intoxicated guests and those acting with aggressive behavior.
- Call 911 if your party starts to get out of control.
- Make sure your guests get home safely! Plan to have DDs available or give local transportation a call. Remember, as a party host, you’re liable for the actions of people who leave your party intoxicated.
After the Party:
- Clean up any trash surrounding your place and anything that has spilled over to a neighbor’s property.
- Check in with your neighbors to hear feedback on the party.
- Celebrate the success of a safe and fun party!